Blitz Puff Pastry
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter, chilled well and cut into chunks
1/2 cup (4 ounces) sour cream
- In a medium bowl, blend the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in the chilled butter, leaving larger pieces intact.
- Incorporate the sour cream; the dough won’t be cohesive at this point.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and bring it together with a few quick kneads. Pat the dough into a square and roll it into an 8×10-inch rectangle, using plenty of flour to keep from sticking.
- Dust the excess flour off the surface of the dough and fold in three (like a business letter).
- Flip the dough over, give it a 90 degree turn,and repeat the process. Chill dough 30 minutes before using.
Who says elegance means fuss? Use prepared pesto to make this a quicker appetizer.
Savory Pesto Palmiers
1/2 recipe blitz puff pastry
All-purpose flour for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll blitz puff with a rolling pin to form an 8×12 rectangle, about 1/8 inch thick. With a short side toward you, trim to even the edges. Spoon the pesto onto the center of the rectangle; use a rubber spatula to spread it in a very thin, even layer to the edges of the pastry.
- Use both hands to gently lift one long edge of the pastry. Fold it firmly and evenly over itself in 1-inch sections until you reach the center of the sheet. Repeat, folding the other edge to meet in the center.
- Slice the double-folded pastry into just under 3/4 -inch thick slices. Place them about 2 inches apart, cut side down, on a prepared pan. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Transfer to a
wire rack to cool.
Hot Cocoa Mix
1 – 14 quart box powder
1 – 2 pound box powdered sugar
1 – 16 ounce powdered coffee creamer
1 – 2 pound box Quik
Mix ingredients in a large bowl. Put 3 tablespoons
in mug and add boiling water. Stir to combine. Add miniature marshmallows or whipped cream if desired.
Maple Sugar on Snow
Collect clean snow from winter storm. Store in a safe location.
Heat maple syrup until bubbly and pour over fresh snow.
The warm syrup crystallizes when reacting with the cold snow. What starts as a stretchy, taffy-like
texture gradually becomes rock hard. If you have received a plastic spoon, it now
becomes pretty useless. Use your fingers.
Check back soon for more information
Apple Cheddar Bread Pudding
2 cups whole milk
1 cup sugar
3 T. melted butter
1/4 t. cinnamon & more to sprinkle
1/8 t. salt
7 slices good white bread (crusts removed and cubed)
1 large apple (peeled, cored, grated)
2/3 cup grated Vermont cheddar cheese
Maple Butter Sauce
1 stick butter
1 cup maple syrup
3/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. allspice
Oven to 350. Butter an 8 inch square pan. In large bowl whisk eggs. Add milk, sugar, melted butter, cinnamon & salt. Whisk again until sugar is dissolved. Add bread, apple and cheese – stir until combined. Put in dish – bake 35 – 45 minutes until golden and set all the way through. Dust with additional cinnamon and serve with Maple Butter Sauce.
To make sauce – in small saucepan over medium low heat, melt butter. Add maple syrup and cook whisking occasionally until butter blends with maple syrup and sauce is slightly thickened. Serve warm over bread pudding. Top with whipped cream if desired.